The Novomix insulin is designed for an individual with type 2 diabetes. This medication provides the correct mix of chemicals that a person needs to control their blood sugar levels. Type 2 diabetes is when a person can produce some glucose in their system but not enough to sustain their system requirements. An individual diagnosed with this form of diabetes may only need to take pills. However, some patients are required to obtain insulin as well as pills to maintain their systems needs. Novomix is a premixed solution that has fast-acting insulin as well as intermediate-acting insulin. The mix is 30% fast-acting and 70% intermediate-acting. This medication is designed for patients that need to take insulin right before they eat. Since every body is different, the reaction time may vary. However, within 10 minutes or less, an individual will have the medication their body needs. The Novomix can last up to 24 hours with the maximum performance up to 4 hours after it is taken.
There have been extensive studies of the Novomix insulin. It has been proven that over a long enough period, this type of insulin can completely control the blood sugar levels in the patients. The study was completed on type 2 patients that only took pills to control their levels. They concluded that after a while of being on Novomix, their system’s levels were improving dramatically.
There are several benefits that are displayed in patients that have used the Novomix insulin as an alternative to the human insulin medication. The following are some of the benefits that have been discovered:
- Meal-time. An individual that takes the Novomix insulin will have a more productive time controlling their blood sugar levels during meal-time. Since this is a fast-acting solution, a person will be able to take it right before eating to control their levels.
- Target levels. If a person is having a hard time controlling their blood sugar levels throughout the day, they can increase the injections. This will assist them in staying within the range that is recommended. It is a good idea to discuss this matter with a doctor before upping the dose.
An individual may show signs of side effects while other may not. With the Novomix insulin, side effects are rare but can happen. A doctor will have the proper information to make a decision on whether this medication is appropriate. Mistakes and first time side effects can happen in different patients. Even though, the concern is always a factor, usually there is nothing to worry about. The following are some side effects that may be present:
- Low blood sugar levels. When an individual is prescribed Novomix, it can lower a person’s levels considerably. It is a good idea to test the blood sugar often. If it lower than it is recommended, do not take another injection. Eat a hard piece of candy to raise the blood sugar to a safe level. If the levels do not return to normal, contact a medical care provider immediately.
- Allergic reaction. A person may experience an allergic reaction at the injection site or in the system. If redness, swelling or itchy occurs, try a different location. If this persists, contact a person’s doctor. This is not serious unless it becomes painful or the redness moves around the area. A system reaction can be very serious and a hospital or doctors visit may be required. Shortness of breath, severe dizziness or a major rash occurs, seek advice right away.
- Thickening of skin. An individual may feel comfortable giving themselves an injection in the same spot day after day. This can cause thickening of the skin or massive bruises and even calluses. It is recommended to change locations frequently when injecting insulin.